Because… I wanted to try this recipe. And my new cookie cutters. And some different boozy icing. And because I love sugar cookies. And… If you know me, you know I’m sort of a political junkie, and with the Republican Convention this week and the Dems coming up, I saw these Republican & Democrat cookie cutters I had to buy & try them! I made some footballs too. Dough Notes:
- The dough recipe is from Brown Eyed Baker! It’s delish.
- I did have to double her recipe, because there wasn’t enough dough for my purposes (tons of cookies for multiple people).
- I made it Saturday night and left it in the fridge until Sunday, when it was time to bake.
- Not too sticky… unless you leave it out of the fridge for too long.
- Cut your cookies from cold dough!
- I baked mine for about 7 minutes… but I also roll them out pretty thin.
- This dough spread a little bit more than the Sugar Cookies I made 2 weeks ago, but they’re still very good.
- I used the same icing as the other sugar cookie recipe, just changed the booze… Jager in the brown footballs, Kahlua in the red icing, and Caramel Bailey’s in the blue
- The red icing was made with Wilton Red No Taste gel food color. Buy it. The regular red stuff is gross. At least, that’s what I’ve heard.
- I made the recipe 3 times, 1 brown, 1 red, 1 blue.
- The white “laces” on the football, and the white stripe & stars are made with white “candy melts”.
- I iced the footballs, then the red halves, then the blue.
- Next I melted the “candy melts” in the microwave following the directions on the package.
- Pipe the laces/ lines & stars let them harden then press them gently into the cookie icing. That will help keep it in place. A few of mine fell off before I figured that out.